This week is Transgender Awareness Week!
Did You Know?
Since the TvT Nov 2020 report, there has already been 53 transgender or gender non-conforming people murdered, HRC.org, transrespect.org), and 24% of transgender students report being verbally, physically, or sexually harassed in the United States (U.S. Transgender Survey).
How can YOU be an effective ally to a transgender person?
(source: Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
1. Never make assumptions on a transgender person's sexual orientation
2. Be patient with anyone questioning or exploring their identity. similarly, understand there is no "right" or "wrong" way to transition.
3. Do not assume pronouns. If they aren't explicitly stated, ask kindly by introducing your pronouns first!
4. Respect the name a transgender person is using and do not use their dead name.
5. challenge anti-transgender remarks. be okay with being uncomfortable by calling out anti-LGBTQ2SIA+ comments to really make a change in society.