This week is National Suicide Prevention Week in the US. Do you know what to do if someone is in an immediate crisis?
What should you do if someone is in crisis?
1. Take them seriously and do not be judgemental.
2. Do not leave them alone.
3. Talk to them and try to agree on a recovery action plan. Ask if they already have one.
4. Remove means of self-harm (if applicable)
5. If a recovery action plan is agreed upon, follow that. If not, ring emergency services.
6. If a person has already harmed themselves, ring emergency services.
*A recovery action plan can be made during a crisis or ahead of time with friends and family. It is also called a Wellness Recovery Action Plan.
What is a Wellness Recovery Action Plan?
It's a list of things to do if a person is feeling suicidal. It can be made during a crisis or ahead of time.
Examples of a recovery action plan include:
Removing all instruments of self-harm ahead of time.
Ringing a therapist, psychiatrist, or another mental health professional
Ringing family or friends that can be supportive
Ringing crisis numbers/hotlines or mental health charities.
Going to a walk-in crisis centre
Ringing emergency services.